Some “professionals” maintain that you do not have to be an expert in a topic in order to build a successful coaching (or speaker) practice. While this might be partially true, fact is that most people will hire coaches, consultants, speakers, and other solo-professionals who are perceived as authorities/experts in their field. You will not spend $500+ per month to get help becoming a highly paid speaker to a coach who never spoke; or $1000+ per month to learn how to market your business to a consultant that you do not perceive as an expert in his/her field…
It takes a little time and some dedication to build an expert status, but the pay-off is well worth the time invested in it.
Here are 10 coaching success strategies that will help you develop your expert status:
- Consistently publish articles online
Don’t waist your time submitting your article to too many sites. www.eZineArticles.com and www.ArticleBase.com are
the two most popular sites with most views. Putting your article on more sites, does not raise your link popularity as it used to in the past [it used to be that the more links went to your site, the higher you were ranked; however, google now sees it that the links come from the same article published multiple times and it will only count it as one link]
- Consistently (try to) publish articles offline in niched magazines, newsletters, newspaper, etc.This is not so easy, but if you can pull this off, this is a great credibility adding factor. Visit your niche-related magazines and publications’ websites and see what are their article submission guidlines (some publications accept more submissions for their online publication). Also, contact your local papers and find out if they want to do a story on you… or allow you to publish your article…With a little luck – and good positioning – you might even end up with getting to publish a weekly column…
- Consistently try to get the media to write or talk about you – there are some great books out there that can help you with that, such as “How to Get on Radio Talk Shows All Across America Without Leaving Your Homre or Office,” by Joe Sabath; “Guerrilla Publicity,” by Jay Conrad Levinson and Jill Lublin; or “On the Air,” by Al Parinello… And the easiest way to get some visibility is to get on www.BlogTalkRadio.com shows (I recently was interviewed by Best People We Know – a show with 12,000+ audience members and ended up with a few book sales and dozens of opt-ins to some of my free offers, which ultimately can convert into coaching client). Simply type in the BlogTalkRadio search engine the keyword that you want to speak on, and you’ll find hundreds of shows that are looking for guests in your area of interest/niche.
- Consistently upload videos to www.YouTube.com and www.Vidler.com and any other of your favorite video sites you might have. Always place your site’s (or landing page) url as the first thing in your video description – e.g. http://www.yourSuccessChecklists.com + video desctiption.
- Start a blog on your niche topic and consistently post valuable info, including industry reports, and other niche-related valuable info
- Become a guest-author on other’s blogs!The blogs that you post to should meet at least these 2 criteria:
- the blog should target your niche (your ideal clients); that is, most of the readers should be individuals who you’d love to have as clients; for example, if you are a small business coach, you’d want to post to blogs that are read by small-business owners
- the blog should have high traffic – insert the blog url on Google’s FREE Page Rank Checker Tool (PR Checker) site – http://www.PRchecker.info/ (the higher the PR value, the more popular the blog is) or to www.alexa.com- to get an estimate on the blog’s popularity; the number of comments is another easy way to determine if a blog has a decent traffic (no comments, usually = no traffic)
Posting blog posts to other’s blogs, NOT only increases your perception as an expert in your niche, but it also provides backlinks to your site/blog, increasing your ranking in the search engines (see PR checker tool mentioned above to check your site’s/blog’s popularity). More backlinks to your site from higher PR blogs = higher ranking in search engines.
- Write a boook! And to help you with that, start by writing your blog posts with the end in mind… Then later, transform your blog posts – and your articles – into a book. The BOOK is the piece of the puzzle that proppels most speakers and coaches’ careers (as soon as my book – Communication Skills Magic – was out, I started getting countlessly more speaking gigs and more coaching clients, at fees that I was rarely able to commend in the past).You can also get interviewed on your niche topic, then have someone transcibe your interview (I know someone who transcribes 1-hour of spoken material for $30.00); then with a little editing transform that transcript into your book (contact me for publishing options before you invest thousands of dollars with some fancy publishing company).Make sure you structure the interview as you’d lay out your book — create a table of contents for your book and base your interview questions on that (you’ll submit the questions to your interviewer)
- Allign yourself with other authorities and experts in your field.Interview them (set up a radio show on www.BlogTalkRadio.com and have a weekly or bi-weekly show), co-present workshops/teleclasses/webinars, co-create products, co-author books and articles… get creative and get hooked – that is, hook up with other great minds in your niche…
- Use social media to increase your visibilityUse www.Twitter.com, www.Facebook.com, www.LinkedIn.com, www.eHow.com, etc. to increase your visibility and attract followers. Use LinkedIn’s Answers to be grow your expert status – see this article for details: http://yoursuccesschecklists.com/linkedin-client-attraction-strategies-part-5-linkedin-answers/ ; use the other social media to post links to your articles, videos, blog posts, etc.;
- Put on webinars/teleclasses and invite your ideal client to attendWebinars (or teleclasses) are one of the most effective way to get your ideal client to get to know, like and trust you. Provide lots of valuable information in your sessions – information that they can use immediately, but DO provide also a cool “formula” that would definitely solve their problem or bring their desire to fruition… Share the WHAT TO DO to accomplish their “wants,” but have them sign up for your group coaching, or hire you as a coach to get the HOW TO DO IT part of the information. Or… describe the coaching process that you use in your sessions and share some success stories… Remember, webinars get you face to face with your ideal client and it’s been proven to be one of the most highly converting ways to getting new clients; so do include it in your marketing arsenal…
If you follow the above tips, it will be only a matter of time before you’ll be viewed as an expert in your field. You want to get to the point where the prospect enters your name in the search engine and they get pages and pages of your articles, videos, program descriptions, etc. letting them know that when they hire you to coach them or to speak at their next event you will deliver value.
As Lao Tsu said “The thousand steps journey starts with a single step…” Start your journey towards becoming an expert in your field today. Write a short article or make a short video… and commit to following all of the above points. And once you accomplish that, send me a thank you note :}
Meanwile please post your comments or questions below – all questions will be answered!
Do you want more articles like this to come to your inbox?
Enter your info below:
! We hate spam, your privacy is our priority and we’ll never share your info with anyone for any reason!
Not sure yet about your niche? Download our Niche Marketing eBook ($47 Value)
– Niche-Discovery worksheet included –
Simply enter your contact info below and we’ll email you the eBook instantly: